Saturday, May 21, 2011

Charlotte County, Florida Part I

As I promised myself, I began my trips into the developed-but-not-built portions of the state. I started in two sections of Charlotte County, the first being south of North Port, and the second being an apparently abandoned section of the Rotonda development on the peninsula.

The first area is one of these truly weird areas of Florida. Streets where cut into scrub forest, but the 2004 hurricanes and the collapse of the housing market has left what's basically forests with gridded roads in them. There's a few houses here and there; I'd say about half looked lived in, and the other half looked unoccupied and have realtors' lock boxes on the doors. The entire time I was there I didn't pass one single vehicle, and one saw a handful driving around, mostly on the main road that cuts through the development. I spent a good hour and half in this area that looks like it may have been designated as a park one day; big pond in the middle, surrounded by fields. At the north end of the field, there's construction debris and what's probably one of the highest pieces of earth in Charlotte County, albeit man-made. On the plateau, there's a broke-down earth mover and evidence of partying, like old fire circles and beer cans and the like. Moving through this space was easy, it was like any field I've even been in. Photographing the streets/forests where different. Like I said, it's an odd space to be in, to be on a residential road, surrounded by thick forest.














It's hard to see from the road, but this is a one of the many cut throughs to get to a canal that feeds to the Tippecanoe Bay.

No comments: